MiniLit is an evidence-based, effective and cost-effective early literacy program. It is a practical, systematic, explicit and effective model for teaching reading skills, comprising a high quality 2-day Professional Development Workshop and a comprehensive Starter Kit with the required resources to implement the program. MiniLit PD and the MiniLit Kit are offered to schools only.
MiniLit targets the bottom 25% of students and is specifically aimed at struggling Year 1 readers, but may also be appropriate for “at risk” Kindergarten, and some struggling Year 2 students. It is a Tier Two school-based small group program (up to four students per group) within a Response to Intervention Framework.
MiniLit is an integrated and balanced program of 80 carefully structured lessons, divided into two levels of forty lessons each:
- Level 1: Teaching the basics of letter/sound knowledge and decoding skills for CVC words
- Level 2: Extending word attack knowledge by teaching commonly used digraphs and longer words
The program takes around 20 weeks to complete, with four lessons of up to 60 minutes per week, and includes regular curriculum-based measures to monitor the progress of the students. Entry point into the program is flexible and, based on students’ assessment scores, can be anywhere within the 80 lessons. Each lesson comprises three main components:
- Sounds and Words Activities
- Text Reading
- Story Book Reading
MiniLit is designed to be delivered to small groups of up to four students, but can also be used on a one-to-one basis. Well-trained teachers, or paraprofessionals with teacher support can deliver the program. Its key benefits include:
- Evidence-based, best practice program designed for Year 1 students
- May be appropriate for “at risk” Kindergarten, and some struggling Year 2 students
- Aimed at early struggling readers who are in the bottom 25% of students
- Highly cost effective small group instruction program with low ongoing operating costs
- Comprehensive training, equipping teachers with the skills they need to help struggling readers
- Detailed and proven lesson plans are provided with the MiniLit program
- Easy to adopt in a classroom environment by teachers or teacher aides
The MiniLit Package
Included in the MiniLit Package are the following two main parts:
Part A: 2-day MiniLit Professional Development Workshop for one person. This could be one of your school’s special educators, teachers, literacy coordinators or teacher aides
Part B: MiniLit Starter Kit with all necessary Teacher and Student resources to run up to two groups (one Level 1 group and one Level 2 group) with up to four students per group. Student resources to run additional Level 1 or Level 2 groups can be purchased separately
To ensure the efficacy of the program, purchase of the MiniLit Starter Kit is linked to attendance at the PD workshop, and the MiniLit PD and the MiniLit Kit are offered to schools only. Below is a detailed description of each of the three main parts of the MiniLit Package:
Part A: 2-day MiniLit Professional Development Workshop
Professional training is an integral part of the MiniLit program. During the 2-day MiniLit Training Course you will receive quality Professional Development in the area of effective reading instruction, which will equip you with the practical knowledge and resources for implementing MiniLit.
Training for one person is included in the purchase price, but additional attendees from the same school can register for the training course at an additional fee.
The Workshop is taught by experienced, highly skilled and trained MiniLit Course Instructors. It is a combination of some theory, video of live demonstrations, and small group role-play. You will receive easy to implement practical advice based on direct experience, and help in identifying and avoiding the most common pitfalls.
The MiniLit Training Course comprises:
- The MultiLit philosophy of “evidence into practice”
- The nuts-and-bolts of the MiniLit program structure and content
- An in-depth explanation of MiniLit’s balanced approach to reading intervention
- Overview of the 80 detailed and proven lesson plans provided with the MiniLit program
- How to identify the students who lack the critical skills to read
- What to do on Monday? Developing your own implementation roadmap for your school
Part B: MiniLit Starter Kit
The MiniLit Starter Kit includes the following components:
- Introductory DVD (11 mins)
- Teacher manual (78 pages)
- Handbook (four handbooks covering 4 x 20 lessons, 1050 pages)
- Sounds and words books (five copies of 78 pages each)
- Presentation cards (7 different types, totalling 900 cards)
- Student workbooks (2 x five copies of 84 pages each. Note: separate booklets are required for each student undertaking the program. Additional booklets may be purchased separately from MultiLit)
- Testing and lesson records (2 x one copy of 88 page)
Access to the Basic membership level is automatic with the purchase of the MiniLit Program and can be accessed via the MultiLit website.
The program gives access to exclusive members-only content that provides additional support and which will help you get the most out of the program.
They are not available anywhere else on the MultiLit website, nor are they available on the MultiLit TV Channel on YouTube. Available resources include:
- MiniLit Placement Test
- MiniLit Games
- MiniLit Story Books
- MiniLit Rules
Feedback on MiniLit
“The intensive, systematic and progressive nature of the MiniLit Program, along with the variety of short, sharp and targeted activities that reinforce every teaching concept, engages the children, keeping them on-task and cementing their learning without any loss of interest. We have noticed that along with success in MiniLit comes improved attendance at school, a positive attitude in their own ability and to learning, and positive changes in the general behaviour of those who had been frustrated learners.”
~ Jo Pasley, Deputy Principal, Rangiora Borough School
Purchase the MiniLit Program
Information on prices and an order form can be found here.
Please note: The use of MultiLit publications and attendance at professional development workshops is for personal education use in schools with State/Territory accreditation (‘Accredited Schools’). Other commercial use, hiring or lending, or other use as part of any commercial, not-for-profit, or fee-paying program of instruction or tuition not carried out within an Accredited School is strictly prohibited.
The 2-day MiniLit Training Course provides quality professional development in effective reading instruction, easy to implement practical advice, video of live demonstrations, extensive practice through small group role-play, and assistance in developing your own MiniLit implementation roadmap for your school.