An explicit approach to teach spelling
What is it?
Spell-It is a flexible program* that assists teachers to plan and implement spelling instruction based on assessment of students’ current knowledge.
Designed for upper primary and secondary students, Spell-It teaches the rules, conventions, structure and logic of the English language, to enable teachers to plan effective spelling lessons based on the needs of their students.
Spell-It, which was written by Joy Allcock from New Zealand, has been adapted for use in Australian schools.
Spell-It comprises a high-quality one-day Professional Development Workshop and a comprehensive Kit with the necessary resources to implement the program.
Who is it for?
Spell-It is suitable for use with students from upper primary (Year 4 onwards) through to secondary and tertiary levels. Spell-It is available for purchase by schools only.
Students who may particularly benefit from the program include those who:
- have average reading skills but poor spelling
- rely on visual images of words but do not understand the system behind the patterns
- over-rely on known sound-spelling relationships to write words because they do not know about alternate spelling conventions.
As an adaptable and flexible program, Spell-It can be used for a whole class, small group or even one-to-one instruction. It can be delivered within a Response to Intervention framework, for use in Tier One or Tier Two.
Spell-It also assists teachers seeking to increase their own knowledge regarding the spelling system that underpins written English. In an Australian study by Louden and Rohl (2006), only 42% of beginning teachers felt their teacher education course had adequately developed them to teach spelling.
Spell-It provides an explicit and structured approach to teaching spelling within a whole class or small group framework. The program provides assessment tools for teachers to identify the spelling skills that are needed most, and to develop a teaching program to target these areas.
Specific teaching strategies are included for each teaching topic, with alternative ‘routes’ for differentiated instruction, extensive examples and word lists for use within lessons.
The program’s content can be delivered over time, and through practical activities and targeted written exercises, students’ ability to generalise their newly learned spelling skills to their writing can be monitored.
Students taught using Spell-It will benefit from:
- improved writing quality and fluency
- expanded vocabulary through improved word knowledge, and
- confidence in their own ability as they learn to apply spelling strategies to unknown words and work out relationships between words.
The Spell-It package includes the following:
- One-day Spell-It Professional Development Workshop for one person (e.g., primary classroom teachers, English teachers, literacy support staff or literacy coordinators)
- Spell-It Kit, comprising:
- Teacher Manual, including assessment tools
- 2 Teaching Topic Manuals, covering 17 topics dealing with a variety of spelling patterns and concepts
- Sample Student Activity Book (also available as a downloadable)
- Answer Book
- My Spelling Dictionary
- Access to online resources to be used alongside the lessons.
Additional Student Activity Books can be purchased separately from MultiLit.
The one-day PD Workshop will cover:
- The Spell-It teaching approach
- Spelling rules and conventions, and how to teach them
- Identification of spelling needs leading to programming, and
- Spell-It program implementation.
The PD Workshop is accredited by the Board of Studies, Teaching and Education Standards, and counts for 6 PD hours.
Pricing and course codes
Please click here for the Price List and Order Form.
P-SPE 001 (Spell-It Starter Kit Only) are available only if you have previously purchased P-SPE 1 (Spell-It PD + Kit) or W-SPE 001 (Spell-It PD Only). The use of MultiLit publications and attendance at professional development workshops is for personal education use in schools with State/Territory accreditation (‘Accredited Schools’). Other commercial use, hiring or lending, or other use as part of any commercial, not-for-profit, or fee-paying program of instruction or tuition not carried out within an Accredited School is strictly prohibited.
*Spell-It is a resource that provides a framework and suggested activities for teachers to plan and implement spelling lessons targeted to fill gaps in students’ knowledge. Unlike MultiLit’s other programs, which use detailed, sequential lessons to teach initial reading skills, Spell-It is a program that enables teachers to effectively accommodate the diverse spelling needs of older students.